Monday 30 May 2011

Fun Days Out (Part One)


Cones, Lichens and Feathers by Angie Lewin



The idea behind this blog was to document my beading with the odd reference to everyday life. In recent months it has been more about my life and less about my creative endeavours. In future posts I hope to redress the balance. I have had a lot of upheaval in my life over the last 18 months, mainly a number of health problems. I am now determined to get my life back on track and spend more time on my beading and other crafts.

One of the strategies to get things back on an even keel has been to make sure that we go out and do things. I am not sure what the future holds for me so we are determined to get the most out of life while we can.

Part of this strategy was another day out to London. My Father was born and brought up in London so we used to go there a lot when I was growing up and I have a great affection for it. We currently live about two and a half hours away on the south coast of England, so it is fairly easy to go there for the day. When we arrived at Victoria we walked the short distance through Belgravia to Baker and Spice.




OH ordered a coffee and one of their amazing blueberry muffins.




And I had a hot chocolate.





We also bought a loaf of bread and some chocolate brownies to take home. They make the best brownies I have ever tasted. This one is a 'Cheesecake Brownie'.





Next stop was the Chelsea Physic Garden, another favourite destination. It is a beautiful 17th century walled garden, planted with medicinal plants, right in the heart of London. The recent warm weather, followed by some rain, meant that it was looking absolutely stunning. After we arranged the trip we realised that the Chelsea Flower Show was taking place in the grounds of the Royal Chelsea Hospital, next door, so were expecting it to be really busy. It wasn't so we were able to wander around to our hearts content. There are plenty of benches where you can sit and just take in the views and listen to the bird song.










A garlic bulb sculpture created out of living willow. Part of the garlic plot.








After leaving the Chelsea Physic Garden we walked the short distance to Potterton books to look at a display of watercolours and prints by one of my favourite artists Angie Lewin (see the watercolour 'Cones, Lichens and Feathers' at the beginning of this post). Then we made our way back to Victoria, stopping off yet again at Baker and Spice for some refreshment on the way. By this time my leg was really starting to hurt and I was ready to go home.


Finally, although I am having a short hiatus with my beading, I have been doing a bit of knitting. I generally carry some knitting with me in my bag, usually something small like a hat or a pair of socks. I try to knit a few rows in my lunch break, while waiting for a bus or enjoying a hot chocolate in Starbucks. I have got used to the stares and occasional comments. My latest creation is a pair of Spring Forward socks from the Knitty website. I have really enjoyed knitting them. The pattern is really easy to follow and to memorise. However to my dismay when I finished the first sock and tried it on it was a bit too big. How disappointing! Never mind I can wear them around the house in the winter. (I really don't like wearing slippers and tend to favour thick socks in the winter and bare feet in the summer).










Sadly it looks much better on the sock blocker than on my foot!


Next time I will tell you all about my visit to the 'Knitted Garden' with my OH and two friends. Now, please excuse me - I have a sock to finish.

No comments: