Thursday 23 July 2015

I'm Back!!!



It has been a really long time since I posted on this blog. I am not sure how to explain my absence, except to say that life just got in the way. Between my work, home life and some of my health issues I just lost my urge to update this blog.

I am in a much happier place now. Although I still have the same health issues I feel that I am dealing better with them and the creative urge has started to grow again. So from now on I resolve to post at least once a week. Let's hope that it works out that way!

I recently bought some new storage units for our spare bedroom to replace some old ones which were falling apart. Sorting through my fabric and beads gave me an idea. I have resolved to start making things using my stash, rather than buying new materials. I have already started making something.

At the end of last year I was inspired by Joan Ford's Scrap Therapy website and her book Scrap Therapy Plus One. I bought it last December with some Birthday money and found it very interesting. In it she encourages you to look through your scrap bags and make some hard decisions about your fabric stash. I have been quilting for over 20 years so I had three plastic bags of scraps stored away.

Last Christmas I started sorting through my fabric, cutting it all into a range of two inch, three and a half inch and five inch squares. Sorting through my scraps was an enjoyable experience. Over the last few years I have made 11 large quilts including christening, anniversary and leaving gifts for friends and relatives. Many of the fabric scraps hold happy memories and are associated with people I care about. Making them into a patchwork seemed like a wonderful way to use them up. I had originally intended to make a double bed sized quilt, but for a whole host of reasons that did not happen.

Three weeks ago I decided to look at the book again and unearth my plastic storage box full of my carefully stacked squares. I have always loved the Scraptop Carrier which is pictured hanging on a chest of drawers on the right side of the front cover picture.



So I decided to have a go at making that, as it would take me less time than a full sized quilt. So, that is what I have been doing for the last two weeks.

Progress has been a bit slow as pain in my lower back and leg mean that I find it difficult to sit at my sewing machine for too long. Also, trying to sew after a long, hot day at work has resulted in a lot of ripping out!! But I am getting there, slowly. OH has kindly been documenting my progress with his camera. In my next post I hope to show you what I have done so far.

So that is it for now. I really will post again as soon as I can!

No comments: